When we think of our “golden years”, what do we see? Do we envision living independently, being active, and enjoying life? Or do we worry that we will struggle with declining health? For many seniors, reality falls somewhere in between. Perhaps we are seeing that in our aging parents.
Everyone wants to do what’s best for their aging parents, but it can be difficult to know when it is time to hire some extra help. Home care services can be a good solution for elderly parents who want to maintain their independence, but still need assistance with day-to-day living. How do we know when it’s time to hire an aide?
These warning signs will give you an idea of what issues to look for as your parent ages.
• Difficulty handling daily activities such as showering and bathing, preparing meals, running errands, paying bills, and so on.
• Repeated falls – Falls due to altered gait, especially when accompanied by injury and/or difficulty getting up.
• Changes in how they look, dress, and smell.
• Not taking medications correctly.
• Safety concerns can be things like forgetting to turn off a burner on a stove, water left running in the bathtub, or the ability to drive safely.
For most older adults, keeping their independence is a primary concern. As family members age, consider their safety, security, and well-being. Have a conversation early about concerns and the possibility of home care. The decision to bring in a home health aide can be a difficult one, but it can help keep seniors healthy and active in the comfort and safety of their own home.
We are here to answer your questions. You can get started today.